Overview of the Course
One thing I like about this, it is not video lecture base where we most of the time we see in online Courese. I love the conversations had with the intellectuals, very informative and easy to follow.
The other factor which I like is the course does not assess the memory rather the the critical view or the knowledge. Where as many course as for sake of having an peer graded or quiz assignments conduct memory tests.. which end of the day not useful for either party.
As we enter the future or the 21st century, what we need are the skills of critical thinking, communication and to be able to apply the knowledge in different contexts. I really like the journal entry where it is the natural method of how I create knowledge.
So in points this course
- Gives opportunities to create knowledge rather than just make knowledge consumers
- Gives opportunities to share knowledge
- Gives opportunities to be creative in what we do
The only drawback I see is the networking facility. It is not a drawback of the course rather the platform, since the class is so large there is very less room for the "Connectivist theory".
I wish I had a chance to build some new relationships where it will be one more addition to my network. So I would really appreciate if you read this please try to contact me and let us talk about the reflections in your own experience. That is how I benchmark my self and that is the way I learn best.
What did I gain as new knowledge from this course ?
For example - when we talk about the learners, or how the education system on your opinion, I found many claims the same facts as educational systems have not change for past 400 years.
We still conduct schools of specific time, specific age, and a specific location.And every end of the year we conduct TEST, the exam orient systems were the booming terms. Many of the feedbacks really did not like the system of the education , but they believed it is not easy to change. Or rather they did not have a cue where to change.
So I was wondering if this Course gave us some answers where could we change, or how could we change would have been wonderful.
As evidence I would add my first journal entry of what exactly I think should change with the aid of the talk by MIT Professor Micheal - Re thinking digital learning - journal post 1
Apart from that I would like to point the new knowledge as what I got -
- The frameworks in the school inspecting systems - factors that school inspectors should look at or rather how they should look at the education in the school - work in hands to improve.
- Impact of the Eduction to the economy of the country.
- I found this thread -https://class.coursera.org/futureeducation-001/forum/thread?thread_id=832 where it describe about the Indian education system - and the view of Sharmistha Chakrabortty- one of the participant in the course. I see many similarities in Sri Lankan education systems to Indian education system.
But the difference is, the view of ours. My view or I hope the education system change drastically to competence base than the exam orient.
- I want to see the education more of self orient and cooperative community thing. This may sound impossible or we may not have a clue of what we talk , but I really embrace the connectivism theory or rather beyond that connections more intimate relationship theory of learning.
We not only connect but we have to build trust and understanding to learn from the connections.
Please have a look at this video which I love and go through similar as well..
- Why we need schools..?
- What is the purpose..?
- Where did we go wrong.. ?
- How can we fix it..?
- How do we bring learning experience not the outcome base education...?
The following connected learning video explains with many ideas - and as I take the connected learning courses I really wish if you really look at what is happening inside the connection orient leaning.